Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 2003 11:02:58 -0400
From:      Bruce Mackay <brucem128@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound card troubles

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:07:10 -0700 (PDT)
Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Sep 2003, Bruce Mackay wrote:
>

> > Hey all,
> >
> > 	I get the following hang up when I try booting up,  here's the problem area...
> >
> > pcm0: <Intel ICH3 (82801CA)> at device 31.5 on pci0
> > pcm0: unable to map IO port space
> > device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6
> >
> > 	I'm running a CVSUP -current from Thu Sep 18 12:34:00 EDT 2003, I
> > have a Yamaha YMF753 Codex Chip and it's Sound Blaster Pro compatible
> > card, anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Try setting the tunable hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range to 1 in
> loader.conf and booting. Your machine appears to need special
> consideration; most ICH3 chips don't need this option.
>
> --
> Doug White                    |  FreeBSD: The Power to Serve
> dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org

<snip>

	I actually tried hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range = 1 to no avail.  I've tried building pcm into my kernel, I've tried loading them as modules with no success.  I was reading somewhere that I may need hw.pci.enable_io_modes = 1 to use my sound card.  However I cannot boot unless I set hw.pci.enable_io_modes = 0.  Any ideas on how I can get around this?  Or if this will even help...

Thanks,
Bruce