Date:      Tue, 09 Sep 2003 12:09:01 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Harald Schmalzbauer <h@schmalzbauer.de>
Subject:   Re: -pthread deprecated, but when?

> Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 01:07:46 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current@freebsd.org
>
> On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday 09 September 2003 06:23, leafy wrote:
> > > IMO this deprecation deserves a place in UPDATING. And what are the
> > > plans to Do The Right Thing? QT currently does not compile on -current
> > > with the -pthread deprecated.
>
> Probably be nice to bump __FreeBSD_version too, just for fun.
>
> > Was port@ informed before the change?
>
> Yes.
>
> > I'm also very interested what the plans are to Do The Right Thing.
>
> The right thing to do is to file a PR when this stuff breaks. This
> process will actually be a good thing, since ports should not have been
> compiling on -current with -pthread for a long time now.
>
> BTW, several ports have already been fixed, and the fix is not
> difficult. I do the following in my ports:
>
>         @ ${CP} ${WRKSRC}/configure ${WRKSRC}/configure.Patched
>         @ ${SED} -e 's#-lpthread#${PTHREAD_LIBS}#g' \
>                 -e 's#malloc.h#stdlib.h#g' \
>                 ${WRKSRC}/configure.Patched > ${WRKSRC}/configure
>
> Any occurences of -lc_r should be changed to ${PTHREAD_LIBS} too.

For which versions of FreeBSD? I just tried using ${PTHREAD_LIBS}, but
the loader could not find any of the pthread routines. I assume it
should be defined in one of the .mk files, but it does not seem to be
on either a current (yesterday) or an older current (9/19).
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)