Date:      Thu, 01 Oct 1998 16:36:49 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        flumiani@infotech.it
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail ups the line?

flumiani@infotech.it wrote:

> I use a FredBSD box as a gateway to connect a LAN to Internet. To do this,
> i followed the PPP Primer.
>
> WHAT HAPPENS:
> If the PPP is working in the background (command ppp -auto -alias
> ips_connect_script) everytime an e-mail client as Eudora Light (also Elm on
> the same FreeBSD system) sends a message to local address (the same for non
> local addresses) makes the sendmail do a DNS request to identify the IP of
> the client's box. Becouse DNS is not on the LAN but on the internet, ppp
> dials out.
>
> I tryed to avoid this action programming sendmail.cf but nothing. Next my
> LAN, FreeBSD box configuration. Can someone help me?

Setup a cache-only nameserver on your FreeBSD machine, and make it the
"resolver" for your FreeBSD machine and all of your clients.  Setup your
ISP nameserver as a forwarder for this nameserver.  Another, perhaps
better option, is to become a secondary for your own domain; this is how
I operate.  The comments in /etc/namedb/named.boot will be helpful in
setting up a secondary nameserver.

This way, whenever you make a DNS query that has already been answered
before (and hasn't timed out) it will be answered from your local DNS
cache.

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                      +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                   wes@softweyr.com