Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 02:24:41 -0400
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "Malloc type lacks magic" show-stopper solved

David O'Brien wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 11:11:34PM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> > Are you asking about which optflags I used? If memory serves me right,
> > -O3, -march=i686, -mcpu=i686, -ffast-math, -fexpensive-optimizations. The
> > -fomit-frame-pointer flag doesn't work.
>
> Forgot to mention.  I'm considering removing the ability to do -O2 and
> -O3 from the system C compiler again.... people are just proving over and
> over how much they want to shoot their foot off.

I wouldn't do that.  I'd just hard-code -O in the Makefile used to
compile the kernel.  Or, you could put a perl or sed script in
/sys/i386/* that does something like s/-O[12s]/-O/, so that any flags
specified, such as -O2, -O3, or -Os are converted to -O.  I'd keep the
ability to do something like -march=ARCH, though, as that doesn't cause
the headaches that -O3 et. al. do.

- Donn