Date:      Sat, 13 Feb 2021 17:47:49 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <freebsd.ed.lists@sumeritec.com>
To:        david russell <rukklespc@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:

Hi,

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 15:32:26 -0500
david russell <rukklespc@gmail.com> wrote:

> File system!I recently installed version 11.4.
> The format only gave me 1 complete file system.I have installed 6.1
> freebsd  it allowed speakers partitions,which I think is better!
> I tried to get the partition manager, to create separate
> partitions,couldn't do it!
> I don't like the new partition sceme.
> You should go back to the other partition manager like freebsd6.1 had!
> I tried to install version 12,it wouldn't go past the partition
> manager! The partition manager does not allow choices in the file
> setup,ie dump,srv,fake root,nfs.
> In my opinion an all in 1 partition is a disaster waiting to happen.
> Q:can you give an option in version 14?regarding format choices.
> Thank you.

if all fails, make a small bootable partition. Just enough for a
minimal installation. After the system is running, create the other
partitions how you want them.

When your disk is above 1TB, I would suggest to keep home outside of
the UFS partitions in the ZFS pool.

A fsck takes really long on lager disks. Even on 50GB, you really you
will have to be patient.

Erich