Date:      Mon, 01 Sep 2003 14:17:48 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: strip FreeBSD a bit

"Jeremy C. Reed" wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> > Bernsteins programs can't be distributed, since we are not allowed to
> > distribute modified binary versions.
>
> Or another alternative is his resolver code. His low-level DNS resolver
> routines are in "public domain".
>
> Has anyone integrated djb's public domain resolver code into libc?

I didn't see that the djbdns license declared it to be in the
public domain.

I looked at trying to use this, but there were a number of
problems:

1)	As far as I can tell, it's not *all* in the public domain.

2)	The interfaces are incompatible with historical ones.

3)	In accordance with his standard diatribe on SRV and other
	new record types, he only supports address records, MX,
	and TXT records, which is less than useful in the real
	world.

All of these are pretty much show-stoppers, as far as I'm concerned:

1)	License is incredibly important to most of us.

2)	I don't want to have to rewrite all the software in the
	world to use the new API; even if I wanted to, and was
	willing to, doing so would make it incompatabile with
	any standard UNIX system which does not also have Dan's
	library loaded on it.

3)	I can't live without SRV records.

-- Terry