Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 12:14:44 -1000 (HST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: binary upgrade vs src

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> > Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 12:01:31 -1000 (HST)
> > From: Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>

> > > In many cases, that's it, but there are lots of possible issues. Do you
> > > run BIND? LPRng? Postfix? ... Any of these would make re-building with
> > > a custom /etc/make.conf essential. And, don't forget to update you
> > > kernel config file as per the new LINT file. Something may well have
> > > changed.
> > >
> > > I also use the CPUTYPE option. This is not a recommendation to use it,
> > > but crypto is possibly faster with it and all of connections to other
> > > systems are encrypted, so this might actually be worthwhile for me.
> >
> > 	I do run bind, LPRng but not postfix.  Those take me only about 2
> > hours to get in including a custom kernel.  I've done this since
> > 2.2-RELEASE up to 4.3-RELEASE and it's just a bit harder than -CURRENT
> > since I have to manually compare my old /etc tree with the new one and
> > merge my settings in.  As for bind, all I do is run the configure script
> > and then build and install which takes about 5 minutes.  I haven't tried
> > the CPUTYPE option though.
>
> You don't want to use CPUTYPE if you will be doing any cross building
> for platforms of different CPU types. I've had zero problems on either
> my K6-3 or P2 systems, but others have. YMMV
>
> This sort of thing is all under he category of "what works for
> you". If I was running LPRng (and I am), I'd want to have the system
> build without lpr (NO_LPR=true). But you can always go back and delete
> or rename the files.
>
> I guess I just feel better when I build the system myself.

	Yeah, good point there since the timestamps/datestamps look better
too :)

Cheers,
Vince - vince@WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin