Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 21:03:58 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        "Brian D. Woodruff" <wood@eris.quintessential.com>
Cc:        jef53313@bayou.uh.edu, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>, "Francisco Reyes" <freyes@inch.com>, Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>, gjb@alpha.comkey.com.au
Subject:   Re: 3.1 UNstable

"Brian D. Woodruff" writes:

> If you want to get 3.1-RELEASE or 3.1-STABLE (which is currently a link
> back to 3.1-RELEASE), you MUST use the floppy disks for 3.1-RELEASE,

I don't want to belittle you or the troubles you've had with
this, but I think there's a point that's worth making here.

When installing some new OS, you should always use the bits and
pieces that belong to that version of the OS.  This is basic
stuff for anybody who wants to retain their sanity and applies
to all OSes, not just FreeBSD.

And, given all the hoopla about the change to ELF in 3.x and the
widely-publicised fact that the ELF transition was done in two
stages, any 3.x installs should have been screaming out to be
treated carefully.

It can be a pain to think this stuff through, but it's an even
bigger pain to fix it after going off half-cocked.

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>