Date:      Wed, 21 Sep 2011 08:34:40 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Modulok <modulok@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to find out which version of PF a given box is using...

--------------enigE947B8B1511428CB997C19D0

On 21/09/2011 07:34, Modulok wrote:
> Is there an easy way to find out what version of PF a given FreeBSD ver=
sion is
> using? Currently I'm doing this:
>=20
>     grep -iE '\bpf\b' /usr/src/UPDATING
>=20
> Just wondering if I'm missing something. I didn't see any '--version'
> flag in pfctl.

Uh -- bpf is a different thing to PF.  bpf is Berkeley Packet Filter
which isn't anything to do with firewalling, but used eg. by tcpdump to
select certain packets from the wire.  As far as I know, bpf doesn't
have a separate version number; it just uses the OS version number.
It's been part of BSD Unices since dinosaurs roamed the earth.

PF is the firewalling code imported from OpenBSD.  Again, it's part of
the base system in OpenBSD so it just uses the OpenBSD version number.
Every so often there will be a new import from OpenBSD -- I believe most
released versions of FreeBSD are using PF from OpenBSD 4.2, but there is
an update to OpenBSD 4.mumble in the works for the upcoming FreeBSD 9.0
release.  You'ld have to check the commit history in CVS or SVN to be sur=
e.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20