Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2000 02:25:18 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@ppp-207-193-186-1.kscymo.swbell.net>
To:        scrappy@hub.org (The Hermit Hacker)
Cc:        karsten@rohrbach.de, chuckr@picnic.mat.net, mbac@nyct.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: idea: official hardware manufacturer blacklist - let's wake em up!

In reply:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Karsten W. Rohrbach wrote:
>
> > hm
> >
> > i mean, do the hardware people want their stuff supported or not? that's
> > the main question
> > some seem to choose the NOT.
>
> right, and that is their perogative ... you can't create a "blacklist" and
> publicize it, it makes us look bad, not them.  What you can do is create a
> "recommended hardware", or "well supported hardware" list ...
>
> Don't show the negative, only show the positive ... promote those vendors
> that are open to FreeBSD, don't put down those that don't ...

Translation:
	Be a good *BOY*, stay in your place.

Read my last post, nothing has to be done negatively in posting a
boycott list, in fact, it would be a highly positive experience.  I
would think that such corporations would be more than willing to open
up after a little publicity.

IMHO, I think the feds need to take a look at their Microsoft
contracts.  It's one thing to refuse to hire a support staff for
anything other than windows, but totally different to not release
information to create independantly supported drivers.  The latter in
the quantity of companies doing it could quite possibly fit the Fed
Civil guidelines for proving conspiracy on say, restraint of trade.

It doesn't take rocket science to know Microsoft is playing dirty and
looking for new ways to maintain control.

"Hi, I'm looking for programming information on the super-duper XYZ
card so I can write a device driver for FreeBSD."

"I'm sorry, we only support Windows."

"I'm not looking for support, I support my own code."

"I'm sorry, we only support Windows."

"Is this the correct department to ask?"

"Yes.  I'm sorry, we only support Windows."

Yeah, we all know the story, like I said, it ain't rocket science.  If
Morley Safer got that on the phone, he'd have a camera crew out there
the very next day to ask it again in person.  We get this every day of
the week.

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or