Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 2004 18:31:10 -0400
From:      jason <jason@ec.rr.com>
To:        andy@neu.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RAID in FreeBSD

andy@neu.net wrote:

>According to the handbook it says:
>The twe driver provides support for the following series of ATA RAID con-
>     trollers:
>
>     o   Escalade 3W-5x00
>     o   Escalade 3W-6x00
>     o   Escalade 3W-7x00
>     o   Escalade 3W-8x00
>
>     These devices support 2, 4 or 8 ATA disk drives and provide RAID0
>(strip-
>     ing) and RAID1 (mirroring) functionality.
>
>I am considering buying a 3Ware Escalade 7506-4LP Kit, 4 port low profile
>ATA 133 PCI 64/66 RAID Controller to use RAID5.  The card supports
>level 5, my question is, is RAID5 supported on FreeBSD?  Does anyone have
>experience with this card good or bad?  Are there any other suggestions
>for lowcost IDE RAID5?
>
>TIA

If you don't get SATA or SATA2 the card looks expensive, but I have only
been shopping for a card for a few days so I can't give great advise on
brands.  I would suggest storagereview.com for that.

Have you tried emailing msmith@FreeBSD.org?

Also FreeBSD can do raid5 with vinum, or gvinum now.  It uses the cpu
and works with whatever controller but will be slower from what I have
heard.