Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 2002 05:22:43 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Sean Kelly <smkelly@zombie.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swapoff?

David Schultz wrote:
> The weight idea is very interesting.  NetBSD does this using
> priorities; all the swap devices of a given priority are filled
> round robin before devices of lower priority, the idea being that
> the slower ones are a last resort (e.g. NFS).  On the other hand,
> this design allows large and fast swap devices to start swapping
> to death before the `backup' devices see any action.  It isn't
> clear to me whether priorities or "fill levels" are better.
> (Certainly a hybrid is possible, that is, weights within priority
> levels.)

I like the idea of a moving average on time-from-request-to-service.
8-).  Works great for Server Load Balancing, too.  The moving
average takes load into account, without explicit load notification
(i.e. no need to have a load notification protocol between NFS
clients and servers, etc.).

> This may be a better project for me than swapoff in the immediate
> future because I won't have to understand how to track down the
> appropriate VM objects and handle them in a kosher manner.
> Implementing weights/priorities will also involve dynamically
> allocating struct swdevt's, which should be done anyway and will
> only be harder after swapoff() is written.

8-).  "Now that everyone is talking about it, better get my
hacks in first, so that other people have to integrate with my
changes, instead of the other way around"...

Actually, I think it's a nice idea for an incremental project.

-- Terry