Date:      Sun, 1 Sep 1996 21:09:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Riffle <jriffle@ns.kconline.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   large files in /stand

     One day I decided to copy my / partition onto a different drive.
Amazingly enough, cp worked and everything seemed to function okay after
rebooting.  I also did a "make world" to fix any problems this may have
created for me.

There is no real problem except for the files in my /stand directory are
huge.  A ls -l in /stand gives results like this:

-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  bin    802816 Nov 18  1995 chmod
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  bin    802816 Nov 18  1995 chown
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  bin    802816 Nov 18  1995 cksum

And a du /stand gives this:

204	/stand/help
13	/stand/etc
2	/stand/info/proflibs
5	/stand/info/des
2	/stand/info/games
2	/stand/info/manpages
3	/stand/info/bin
2	/stand/info/dict
2	/stand/info/info
18	/stand/info/src
37	/stand/info
43884	/stand

This isn't a real problem, but I sure could use those extra 40 megs it has
claimed.

What I was woundering was, what would happen if I were just to delete
those files in /stand?  Or, could I delete them and then link then back to
the appropriate files with ln?  I guess, I really just do not know what
signifiance these files in /stand have, and wanted to make sure I don't
try to do anything which could bring my system down.

Thanks!
Jim Riffle