Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 2002 17:41:45 -0700
From:      Jordan K Hubbard <jkh@queasyweasel.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Dan Moschuk <dan@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Package system flaws?

On Sunday, July 7, 2002, at 01:55 PM, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> That's precisely what I want to avoid.  With tar, you always have to
> uncompress the entire package to find even just one file (unless you
> use the GNU-specific --fast-read option, in which case it stops once
> it finds the file you asked for)

Actually, it's the FreeBSD-specific --fast-read option.  I added it so
that I could extract the +CONTENTS file without having tar go all the
way through the tarball looking for additional +CONTENTS files.

I'm actually with Wes anyway - zip would be a fine format on account of
the fact that it:

1) Allows random access AND compression
2) Has comment fields for each archive member and for the zip file
itself which can be [ab]used for storing checksums, PGP signatures, etc.
3) Can be programmatically accessed using some of the libzip libraries
available so you aren't always at the mercy of being at arm's length
with a command like tar (which is nice when you're trying to write a
package-extracting front-end which is graphical and also has little
progress meters and such which advance as each item is extracted from
the archive)..

But then again, I also promised myself I'd stay out of this discussion
so I'll shut up now and continue to watch all of you debate this. :)

--
Jordan K. Hubbard
Engineering Manager, BSD technology group