Date:      Fri, 18 Mar 2011 12:08:44 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   User authentication on Linux with FreeBSD OpenLDAP backend fails: pam_ldap: error trying to bind as user/Failed password for

Hello.
I try to use a FreeBSD OpenLDAP (FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE/amd64, most recent
OpenLDAP/openldap-sasl-server-2.4.24) as an authentication backend for
an UBUNTU 10.10 server (using openldap 2.4.23).

Most of the installation on the Ubuntu server has been successfully done
(I'm not familiar with Linux, but it seems that things like pam and ldap
are quite similar to FreeBSD's installation).

 From the Linux/Ubuntu server, I'm able to get all users and groups via
'getent passwd' and 'getent group', even 'id' on an OpenLDAP backed up
user is successfully.

But when it comes to a login via sshd, login fails with this error
(loged on Linux Ubuntu in /var/log/auth.log):

Mar 18 12:01:00 freyja sshd[26824]: Failed password for testuser from
192.168.0.128 port 40734 ssh2
Mar 18 12:01:23 freyja sshd[26854]: pam_ldap: error trying to bind as
user "uid=testuser,ou=users,dc=geoinf,dc=freyja,dc=com" (Confidentiality
required)
Mar 18 12:01:25 freyja sshd[26854]: Failed password for testuser from
192.168.0.128 port 54156 ssh2

I'm able to login from other systems (FreeBSD 9 and 8) via this specific
  OpenLDAP server.

Does anyone has a glue?

Please set me CC, I'm not subscribing this list.

Thanks in advance and regards,
Oliver