Date:      Mon, 26 Dec 1994 19:55:23 -0500
From:      dg1020!w_taylor@n8ino.Mainstream.com (Bill Taylor)
To:        n8ino!FreeBSD-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Cc:        n8ino!dufault@hda.com, n8ino!smcarey@mailbox.syr.edu
Subject:   Real-time and parallel extensions to FreeBSD

I recently heard from dufault@hda.com that there is interest in
real-time extensions to FreeBSD.  Since my firm is interested in both
real-time and parallelism, he suggested that I ask this mailing
list about both.

My firm sells an extremely powerful software package designed for
real-time process control.  Details are availble by e-mail on request,
but to oversimplify, our product is a knowledge processing system
which handles more than 300,000 "rules" per second on a single 68030.

In the very short term, a PowerPC is probably enough, but most of our
systems require a rather powerful MMI which usually needs its own
processor.  In our design, the MMI task and the control task or tasks
communicate via shared memory.

Our customers are sufficiently interested in what we are doing to ask
us for proposals for systems which are too big to run on a single
power PC.  We need more MIPs; the simplest approach we know is to
spread our application across multiple processors in a single VME
rack.  We do not know of a successful parallelism setup for the IBM PC
architecture, if there is one, we would consider it, too.

As to real-time requirements, our real need is for consistent
response.  We do NOT process a high volume of interrupts, we tend to
offload interrupt-intense parts of the application to auxiliary
processors, but we need consistent response.  Normal Unix systems seem
to snatch a significant chunk of resources for housekeeping on a basis
which we do not understand.  One approach would be to put the
housekeeping on its own processor.

dufault@hda.com recently distributed a message speaking of reducing
the cost of task switching and making several other kernel adjustments
in the interest of making FreeBSD better for real-time.  I would
appreciate knowing the level of interest in both real-time and
parallel processing in the FreeBSD community.

We use FreeBSD to run a single-task portion of our application and are
impressed with it.  We would like to standardize on one operating
system; as far as we know, FreeBSD is the most robust around, but we
nee to know whether there are plans to take it parallel.  If there is
interest but implementing the interest requires nonexistent resources,
we would also be interested in knowing the resource requirements,
there might be something we could do.

Thank you very much.

bill@mainstream.com