Date:      15 Aug 2002 17:55:14 -0400
From:      Jim Frost <jimf@frostbytes.com>
To:        Daniel Eriksson <Daniel.Eriksson@computer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD 4.6 rl0 and xl0 watchdog timeout problems (and solution)

On Thu, 2002-08-15 at 17:48, Daniel Eriksson wrote:
> Not that it in any way helps you, but FreeBSD is not the only OS
> sensitive to IRQ sharing. Even Windows has its problems, like trying to
> get a Soundblaster Live! card to share IRQ with the USB controller.
> Depending on the motherboard and driver version it will either BSOD on
> you or just lock up without even a blue screen.

Yup; now that I know it's an IRQ conflict I'm ok with that ... I just
didn't have any way of knowing that that was the problem (irq12 was not
reported as being used by any device other than my ethercard).  What I
had been confronted with seemed bizarre ... card works in one slot,
doesn't work in another.

I do miss the days of IRQ jumpers, at least you knew what was using
what.

> As to your complaint about having to manually select every package: I
> see this as a conservative design decision. There are a bunch of
> packages that will install applications or scripts that weakens the
> security of your box, so by not defaulting to install everything (even
> making it difficult to select everything) like some Linux distros do,
> you automatically get a safer, more secure system.

That's fine with me, but there should be a way to /tell/ the installer
that you want to select (and de-select) them all.  Tediously selecting
hundreds upon hundreds of checkboxes individually is ridiculous.  In
comparison to every other installer I've used in the last five or six
years this one is quite primitive, and irritatingly so.

jim