Date:      Mon, 12 Dec 2005 15:41:26 -0800
From:      Atanas <atanas@asd.aplus.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.0 random freezes

Claus Guttesen said the following on 12/12/05 13:23:
>>Both machines boot with ACPI and hyperthreading enabled.
>
> Try to disable HTT in bios.

I think that I already achieved that by simply disabling the acpi module
from device.hints, and it had no effect to the problem.

> It seldom gives you very much, and
> somtetimes degrades performance. Is it a webserver?

It is a web server, and as such it tends to generate a lot of processes,
many of them independent of each other and trying to run simultaneously.
Thus more work horses (even less powerful virtual CPUs) make the server
to perform smoother.

This is just a practical observation though, and I could be wrong. I
would rather go with 2 dual core Opterons, but these are sort of
expensive for now.

> If it generates
> alot of temporary files you can try adding/changing the following in
> /etc/sysctl.conf:
>
> kern.ipc.somaxconn=2048
> kern.maxfiles=65536
> vfs.ufs.dirhash_maxmem=8388608

Currently I have the following:

   kern.ipc.somaxconn: 1024
   kern.maxfiles: 12328
   vfs.ufs.dirhash_maxmem: 2097152
   kern.openfiles: 1992

It's closest relative (running 5.4-RELEASE on the same hardware) handles
about twice more requests, temporary files, and open files.
kern.openfiles there is about 4000, and if something tries to go above
the limits, the kernel usually reports that.

I have plenty of other boxes serving at least twice more requests with
less powerful (also hyperthreaded) CPUs running 4.x and 5.x and with no
problems. The ones I have problems with are way less loaded, and are
supposedly faster ones.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Regards,
Atanas