Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 2002 08:21:13 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        Justin Burke <mlist-freebsd@alt255.com>
Cc:        Boryan Yotov <test@prosyst.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding defaultroute

# mlist-freebsd@alt255.com / 2002-12-16 13:04:27 -0800:
> * Boryan Yotov (test@prosyst.com) wrote:
> > Otherwise simply change the following entry from /etc/rc,conf:
> >
> > defaultrouter="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
> > defaultrouter="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx rl0"
>
> Yeah, that didn't work.... Invalid ifconfig syntax.
>
> But I did locate where in the rc.network script that default routes are
> taken care of:
>
>         # Set up any static routes.  This should be done before router discovery.
>         #
>         if [ -n "${static_routes}" ]; then
>                 for i in ${static_routes}; do
>                         eval route_args=\$route_${i}
>                         route add ${route_args}
>                 done
>         fi
>
> The problem is that by this time in the script, I already have a default
> route. I've fixed the problem by adding
>
> route change default xx.xx.xx.x
>
> to my rc.local. But isn't this defeating the purpose of the defaultroute
> variable?

    Last time I used DHCP was on a Windows95 computer 7 years ago, and
    I've only had a quick look at /etc/rc.network, so this is just a
    guess...

    you already have a default route by the time rc.network reaches that
    loop you quoted because interfaces are set up before the routes, and
    it *looks* like you get the default route from the dhcp config. look
    at dhclient.conf(5) and related pages.