Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 16:38:19 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
Cc:        mjacob@feral.com, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question - Onstream SCSI Streamer

Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net> wrote:

> Well, for the kinds of use to which we'd put the device (ie: streaming
> tape) a 32k block size isn't horrid.  I can see where if you tried to use
> it as a random-access replacement (ie: to write "files" to) you'd be rather
> unhappy with the wastage that this would cause, but for streaming
> applications I doubt it hurts much.

     True.  I was just mentioning that as an example of how "different"
the OnStream drive is from traditional SCSI tape drives.

> I'll try hardcoding THAT as a quirk and see if the drive decides it would
> like to at least get past the open and actually perform I/O :-)

     Heh.  I really, really hope it works, but I'll bet that there are
enough other quirks that it won't.  ;-(

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.