Date:      Tue, 2 Jun 1998 11:53:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        hlwong@asiapac.net (Wong Horn Lim)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Notebook and FreeBSD

Wong Horn Lim wrote:
> Guys,
>  I need some advice on buying a new notebook and
> install FreeBSD 2.2.6-Release, I need to know
> the model for ThinkPad,Digital and Toshiba
> that can install FreeBsd, and run X-windows for
> FreeBSD, network card model and modem (PCMCIA)

partial answer:  watch out for Winmodems -- they won't work.
go through the hardware sections of the handbook at the f'bsd website.

If at all possible, get the vendor to agree (in writing) to exchange
parts (or machines) if it fails to work with 'BSD.

If you're buying retail, take a BSD boot floppy to the store and ask
to see it boot. (It won't hose W95 or whatever is on the machine
if you bail out of the installation before it "does anything").

[ To the list:  It might be darned useful to define and create a
"shopper's floppy", consisting of rigorous device probes, and some
X sniffing, that would guarantee that it wouldn't touch any harddisk.  ]

Dave
--
        DISCLAIMER: If it can be disclaimed, it is.
	DISCLAIMER: In particular, I don't represent any organization.