Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 12:58:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Paul van der Zwan <paulz@trantor.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slow seq. write on Seagate ST36530N

:This did not improve anything , but I think I have found the couse.
:In that modepage there is a DISC value which was 0 on the IBM and 1 on the
:Seagate. I remembered a ' Enable disconnect' option in the Adaptec 2940  bios,
:setting this to 'off' for both harddisks led to a huge performance increase on
:the Seagate. If I also enable Ultra mode iozone write goes from 1.5 MB/s
:to 12 MB/s ( a factor of 8 !!!).
:
:	Paul
:
:--
:Paul van der Zwan		paulz @ trantor.xs4all.nl

    There's something wrong.  Disconnection should not cause that sort
    of performance decrease.  Disconnection is necessary if you want to
    maintain preformance with more then one scsi device on the scsi bus.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>