Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 23:41:48 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        chris@calldei.com
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSDI giving out old info?

Chris Costello wrote:

>    I read some interesting things at the URL below -- perhaps
> it's out of date.  It says that there are no Front Page
> extensions, no email support, and no 'patch server' (does
> cvsup*.freebsd.org count?).
>
> http://www.BSDI.COM/products/internet/40-qna.mhtml#Q5

OK, help me fix this.  I'm counting anything available in packages as
"Std."  We could probably count ports too, given the amount of tinkering
NOT required to get them to work, but let's stick with packages for now.
How's this look vis-a-vis 3.2-RELEASE:

                                                                        FreeBSD
World Wide Web Support
 HTTP server                                                            Std
 HTTP proxy                                                             Std
 HTTP accelerator                                                       ???
 SSL2                                                                   ???
 SSL3                                                                   ???
 Java                                                                   Std
 ActiveX                                                               MSP  (bleh!)
 XML                                                                    ???
 Local Database                                  mSQL, MySQL, Postgres  Yes
 Remote Database                                 mSQL, MySQL, Postgres  Yes
 FrontPage server extensions              (Use the BSDI version - doh!) 3rd

E-Mail Support
 SMTP server                                                            Std
 POP3 server                                                            Std
 IMAP server                                                            Std

Usenet News Support
 NNTP server                                                            Std

FTP Support
 FTP server                                                             Std

VPN Support
 IPsec                                                                  ???
 ISAKMP                                                                 ???
 PPTP                                                                   ???

Development Tools
 HTML editor                                                            Std
 Perl                                                                   Std
 Python                                                                 Std
 C and C++ Compilers & Tools                                            Std
 Fortran Compiler & Tools                                               Std
 Java Compiler & Tools                                                  Std
 Source Code Available                                                  Yes

Network Services
 DNS                                                                    Std
 NTP                                                                    Std

Dialup Support
 PPP                                                                    Std
 Multi-Link PPP                                                         Std
 SLIP                                                                   Std
 RADIUS Authentication                                                  Std
 RAS                                                                   MSP ???

Security
 Kerberos                                                               Std
 IP Packet Filters                                                      Std

Management
 SMNP Tools         (Too bad they can't spell SNMP, huh?)               BIY  Huh?
 Remote Administration                                                  Std
 Pager Interface                                                        Std

Reliability
 Uptimes > 1 year                                                       Std
 Y2K Compliant                                                          Yes

Advanced Features
 IPv6                                  It was developed on FreeBSD!     Yes

Technical Support
 Initial free phone support                                              0
 Phone support with 4 hour response                                    Opt
 E-Mail Support                                                       Free
 Update Support                                                       Free
 Patch Server                                                          Yes

Pricing
 Base Product                                                         FREE!
 16 User                                                              FREE!
 60 day return privilege                              NOT NEEDED, ITS FREE!

Key:
      Std = standard
      Opt = optional
      3rd = Available from 3rd party