Date:      Mon, 02 Jul 2001 15:19:55 +1000
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        FreeBSD-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ftp vs nfs for remote install

Hiyas,

Recently I was installing a new system from a local ftp on
a 100mbit network, and sysinstall reported the speed at around
~2.0kbs!?

I thought maybe some name resolution thing was slowing it up
so I added names and IPs to host files, but no change...

Since I could get faster speeds connecting to a remote site
I decided to setup an nfs server, which sysinstall said was
getting speeds around ~1000kbs...

It seems to be something wrong with sysinstall using ftp, since
now that the box is installed and running ftp connections to the
same machine are as fast as would be expected...

So any ideas on whats going on here? Anyone else noticed something
like this before?

Thanks,
Kal.