Date:      Fri, 3 Jan 2003 11:20:48 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 11:11:40AM +0100, andreas wrote:

> I have a problem and I hope you can help.
> I will install the RouteServerDaemon on FreeBSD
> and I need SNMPI, a program for analyzing the
> MIBs. My problem is that there is no version for
> FreeBSD and I hope you can help me!

Do you mean snmpi(8) --- as in
http://www.tru64unix.compaq.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V40G_HTML/MAN/MAN8/0326____.HTM

That I believe is a part of the isode SNMP agent which is mentioned in
http://www.snmp.com/FAQs/snmp-faq-part2.txt, but the site given in
that FAQ
(http://metalab.unc.edu/linux/pub/Linux/system/network/isode/) apears
to have gone the way of all flesh.

As far as I can tell, the isode SNMP agent is pretty much obsolete
nowadays (it was mentioned on a FreeBSD mailing list back in 1997-ish
back when FreeBSD 2.1.x was current).  Although it started as a
BSD-ish program (http://www.funet.fi/pub/unix/osi/isode-ports.txt)
there apears not to be any sort of port on FreeBSD nowadays.  It also
seems to have nothing to do with http://www.isode.com/ any more.

Even if you could dig up an old version somewhere on the net and get
it installed on FreeBSD, you should think twice.  There were some very
nasty security bugs discovered last year that are apparently present
in almost all SNMP implementations
(http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2002-03.html) and you definitely
want to install something that has had those bugs fixed.

Nowadays, you'ld install one of the net-snmp ports (ports/net/net-snmp
or ports/net/net-snmp4) to provide SNMP functionality, but I have no
idea if your routing program would be able to integrate with either of
those versions.  There is no 'snmpi' program supplied with those
packages, and I can't see (off hand) any program providing equivalent
functionality.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way