Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 2004 23:51:01 -0500
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Tom Connolly <tomc@cqg.com>
Cc:        'FreeBSD_Questions' <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Resolution problems

Tom Connolly wrote:

>My Sync/Refresh rates are consistent with my monitor documentation but
>offhand, I'm not sure what they are. I will check when I get on my box.

I found out last night (celebrating one year of FBSD on the desktop)
that I could gain a higher resolution by increasing those numbers.
YMMV, and there are some warnings that probably have merit, or
they wouldn't be warning us, right? <include #disclaimer.h>

Here's what I did.

1.  Save/close everthing on the "desktop".
2.  Switch to console on ttyv1, edit Xf86config, raising top of
sync/refresh ranges.
3.  kill -HUP {pid of Xfree86} ... system would send me to ttyv0 (GUI).
4.  If monitor complains "out of range", switch to ttyv1 again...
5.  edit Xf86config, *lowering* sync/refresh ranges.
6.  Back to step #3....

After several "loops", I got a display back on ttyv0, and logged in
to GNOME (environment of choice), which now allows me to choose
at least 1280x1024 ... quid pro quo:  I chose a higher res [1600x1200]
in GNOME, once since then, and had to salvage the session on ttyv1
'cause GNOME didn't reset things automagically...fortunately no big
files unsaved there....

YMMV, of course.

Kevin Kinsey