Date:      Tue, 1 Sep 1998 20:35:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Jolley <doug@footech.com>
To:        tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Contingency Floppy

># cd /dev
># mknod wd0s2a b 0 0x00030000

THAT'S SO COOL!  It worked great.  Thanks.

>( I do not have a fixit disk handy, so I can't look and see, but if the
>  fixit disk has the file /etc/MAKEDEV, then all you have to do is:
>  # MAKEDEV  wd0s2a
>  and it will issue the above command for you. )

The fixit floppy does have MAKEDEV but it's in /mnt2/dev rather
than /dev.  Also, mknod is in /mnt2/stand rather than /sbin.
All things considered, it appears to be easier to just use mknod
PROVIDED one has the minor number.  I'm not exactly sure how
you determined that.

Now that I have wd0s2a mounted as the root file system I guess
that I need to manually go through the steps of the boot process
in order to get the daemons started, etc.  Unfortunately, the
boot process is something that I've never really understood in
terms of exactly what calls what.  If you know of any documentation
dealing with that, I'd love to know its whereabouts.

Thanks for all the help.

     ... doug