Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 2008 22:46:31 +0200
From:      mouss <mouss@netoyen.net>
To:        Toby Burress <kurin@delete.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org, Khachatur Shahinyan <khachatur.shahinyan@arca.am>
Subject:   Re: Freebsd auto locking users

Toby Burress wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 10:42:06AM +0500, Khachatur Shahinyan wrote:
>> :passwordtime=90d:\
>> :warnpassword=7d:\
>> :warnexpire=7d:\
>> file.
>> The fields which are reserved for password aging parameters are 0:0
>> test:$1$F9yf.PuK$xqIsGEgK3MexpPZ4UBav0.:1001:1001::0:0:User &:/home/test:/bin/sh
>>
>> And the locking point does not work either, e.g. no matter how many times I input wrong password, I'm still able to login. :(
>> I cannot understand what I'm doing wrong, and what should be done solve this issues? I'm not an expert Freebsd administration, so any comments and suggestions are
>> welcome.
>
> You'll notice in the login.conf man page that these are in the
> "reserved capabilities" section:
>
> RESERVED CAPABILITIES
>      The following capabilities are reserved for the purposes indicated and
>      may be supported by third-party software.  They are not implemented in
>      the base system.
>
> For blocking repeated password attempts, check out security/pam_abl.
> Note that if sshd doesn't use PAM, it won't have any effect for ssh
> logins.
>
> A quick search doesn't show me any port for enforcing password age.
> For what it's worth, I once emailed Bruce Schneier about the
> effectiveness of that and he said he never changed his passwords
> (based on age, anyway).  But there's probably something.

Given that it's not easy to select a good password (both strong and easy
to remember), password expiration sometimes result in weak passwords or
in forgotten ones. or if no measure is taken against, people change to
old ones.

http://www.cryptosmith.com/sanity/expharmful.html
http://www.rsa.com/blog/blog_entry.aspx?id=1286
http://www.cerias.purdue.edu/site/blog/post/password-change-myths/P50/

and the other side has its proponents of course:

http://lopsa.org/node/29