Date:      Mon, 2 Jan 2006 22:07:18 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Brian John" <brianjohn@fusemail.com>
To:        "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>,freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: need help setting up wireless on my computer

> On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 20:23:30 -0600 (CST)
> "Brian John" <brianjohn@fusemail.com> wrote:

> > > 1. Your netmask should not be 255.255.255.255. Try
> > > 255.255.255.0 instead.
> > >
> > I tried this (255.255.255.0 is the correct netmask) but it still
> > doesn't work.
> >
> > > 2. Have you configured the computer with gateway and name server
> > > information?
> > >
> > I have not.  I didn't have to do this for the ethernet card that I
> > have in the machine and it works, should I have to do it for wireless?
> >
> > > 3. When in Windows, did you configure the network manually? Or did
> > > you use DHCP?
> > >
> > I use DHCP in Windows.  This is one of the things I thought might be
> > the problem.  Can you tell me how to set this up to use DHCP?
> > The command that the FreeBSD handbook told me to use includes
> > specifying the IP Address.
> >
> > Thanks a million for the help.
> >
> > /Brian
> >
> > > Best of luck,
> > >
> > > Andrew
> > >

> To continue using manual network configuration:
>
> 1. Identify the default gateway's IP address in /etc/rc.conf:
>
>      defaultrouter="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
>
> 2. Add your nameserver's IP address to /etc/resolv.conf:
>
>      nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>
> If you want to activate DHCP:
>
> 1. Eliminate the IP address and netmask from your ifconfig command. The
> ifconfig command will still be used to identify the ssid and provide
> the wep key.
>
> 2. Execute the ifconfig command.  The interface needs to be configured
> with the ssid and wep key _before_ using DHCP.
>
> 3. Activate the DHCP client:
>
>      dhclient ndis0
>
> Hopefully, this will work for you.
>
> Andrew

I tried this.  This time the command executed but the wireless adapter
didn't get an IP Address and doesn't show any of my wireless settings when
I run ifconfig -a.  Is there another command I need to do to acquire the
IP Address from DHCP?

Related commands and output are below.

Thanks

/Brian

Command I used to configure the adapter:
ifconfig ndis0 ssid Brian wepmode on wepkey <my key> channel 9

ifconfig output after running all commands:
ndis0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500