Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 12:30:09 -0600 (MDT)
From:      FreeBSD <freebsd@XtremeDev.com>
To:        "Maine LOA List Admin (Brent Bailey)" <brentb@loa.com>
Cc:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IPFW or IPFILTER?

IPFW has dummynet. ipf author suggests using AltQ. ipf also supports
round-robin port forwarding to multiple servers (and a little app to check
for downed servers etc) in ipnat if you run a cluster, and can port
forward a range of ports without separate rules each (iirc). ipf has also
been around much longer than ipfw in terms of development time, and is a
more mature code (as evident by ipfw's past sec issues). I've found myself
able to do quite a bit with ipf/ipnat, bimap/map helps a great deal. ipf
also has the distinction of being on all the BSD's (used to be used
exclusevely by OpenBSD as it's only firewall) and even on early 2.0.x
Linux kernels, as well as on Solaris. So if you know ipf rule syntax, you
are quaranteed to be useful on a good many UNIX systems.

ipfw currently has bridging support in FreeBSD while ipf does not. This is
being worked on and should change fairly soon. ipfw has a tighter
integration with FreeBSD than ipf, which means also that it gets updated
more often, and less changes in FreeBSD break things with the firewall.

If you require ipfw/dummynet features but prefer or require ipf/ipnat only
features, you can always combine them. I currently use ipfw/dummynet for
bandwidth shaping and ipf as my primary filter processing. Just remember
that ipfw gets processed first on incoming packets, then ipf.

Performance is negligible unless you have hundreds or even tousands of
rules (which some do). Then the tree capabilities of ipf really shines,
not because it does the job it does, but because it makes really readable
rules. When I tried with ipfw's skipto, I was suddently reminded of the
goto statements in basic a long long time ago, and I had to cringe.

As a side note, OpenBSD is no longer including ipf in it's default
installs now, but is instead using pf, a new firewall being written. But
pf will use the same syntax rules as ipf, so you'd still be "guaranteed a
job" if you move OS's.