Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 19:06:35 -0500
From:      Sam Drinkard <sam@wa4phy.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Realtek 8139

I suspect this card is problem from what I read in sources plus other
notes, but would like to see if there is a way to mitigate some of the
trashiness of it!

Scenario:  first card is running under 4.4-Stable in an Athalon 880 box,
pretty much plain jane.  It connects to an el-cheapo LinkSys hub, which
in turn feeds another P233 box running RH-7.0, and another P3-733
running 98.  The problem, (of sorts) is this.  Initial bootup sets the
card up as "none" for media select.  I see terrible thruput to either
box.  If I set media to 10BaseT/UTP, speed goes up drasticaly, but I see
tons and tons of collisions.  Is there a tuning parameter in the kernel
I could manipulate to maybe cut down on something to reduce the
collisions?  Have tried setting mtu lower, but no avail.  Unfortunately,
RH does not support media options with that particular card, however
some are supported according to man page.

It wouldn't be a big deal, but collisions when grabbing my daily 30+ mb
gridded binary data file does slow things down.  BTW, the -Stable
machine is acting as gateway for the other two boxen.

Ideas?

Sam