Date:      Sun, 5 Feb 1995 09:21:52 -0500
From:      Sundarnag@aol.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Fwd: Need help!!!!

I recently bought a FreeBSD 2.0 32 bit operating system. The instructions are
quite clear, but when I tried to install it, it worls not make a bootable
disk for me to proceed.

I have a
486SX, 33 MHz computer, with
200MB of hard disk,
4 MB RAM,
3.5" 1.44mb Floppy disk drive
Double Speed CD-ROM,
Adaptec AHA, SCSI host adapter,
Sound blaster 16 sound card,

I bought the FreeBSD 2.0.(un*x type 32 bit OS) In the instructions for
installing are as follows.

copied from the BSDdisk...

Before you do anything, make two 1.44MB floppies from the two image files
you'll find in the floppies/ directory - boot.flp and cpio.flp.  If you're
reading this under DOS, you can do it in 1 easy step, or 3 in case this
doesn't (for some weird reason) work:

1. If you're reading this file after typing "go", simply ESC back out for
   a moment and select the "makeflp" batch file to make the two floppies.
   This will invoke the DOS formatter to format the floppies and then
   attempt to write the two disk images onto them.  If this doesn't work,
   follow steps 2 through 4:

2. Use the DOS format command to format 2 NEW floppies.  A lot of problems
   have been caused by people using old and defective floppies, and much
   grief can often be saved by simply using new, or at least trusted,
   media.

3. Insert the first floppy and type:

		tools\dos-tool\rawrite floppies\boot.flp a:

4. Insert the second floppy and type

		tools\dos-tool\rawrite floppies\cpio.flp a:

You're now prepared to boot from the boot floppy and begin the installation.

When I try by running "GO" from windows it automatically prompts to format
the floppy. I
do that.  Then when it writes to the disk, it aborts and prints "disk write
protected" on the
screen. Once this happens I cannot read the disk on DOS. I guess it changes
the format.

 I tried steps 2,3 and 4. The same thing happens.
I went ahead and booted the system using the floppy anyway. Won't work.
Nothing happens.
The screen is blank.

I will appreciate if you can take the time and help me here.
If you need any further information, my E-mail address is Sundarnag@aol.com

Thanks again.

Sundar Nagarajan
I recently bought a FreeBSD 2.0 32 bit operating system. The instructions are
quite clear, but when I tried to install it, it worls not make a bootable
disk for me to proceed.

Can you please help me?

Thanks

Sundar Nagarajan