Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2002 14:20:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Chris Howells <pp0u20d9@liverpool.ac.uk>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Chris Howells wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wednesday 20 November 2002 5:08 pm, Robert Watson wrote:
> > dmesg is a command that dumps the kernel message buffer.  You can
> redirect
> > the output to a file:
> >
> >   dmesg > fileofchoice
>
> Sure. This bit is sufficiently similar to Linux for me to know it :)
>
> Problem is, I haven't got 4.7 installed. I want to install 5.0DP2. I
> can't install 5.0DP2 due to the reboot, and therefore I can't get to a
> command prompt in order to run dmesg....
>
> Bit of a chicken & egg situation -- if I could install 5.0Dp2
> successfully, then I wouldn't need to be sending you the output of dmesg
> here ;)

If you have a second box and a null modem cable, you can set up FreeBSD to
use a serial console by unplugging the keyboard.  You can then capture the
boot output on the second machine and e-mail that out.  If it doesn't
automatically use the serial console w/o a keyboard, you can do:

	set console="console"

in the loader.  By default, it uses 9660bps on com1.  This is typically
how we capture console debug output such as stack traces, debugger stuff,
etc, since it doesn't rely on the system remaining up, and doesn't require
you to type a lot of stuff in :-).

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories