Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2007 16:08:19 +0100
From:      Michael Rebele <m.rebele@web.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.0-Beta 3: zfs makes system reboot

Hello,

replying my own message is a funny thing ;-)
This message has more informational character than it is a error report.

 > Michael Rebele <m.rebele@web.de> wrote:

I've applied the mentioned patch to the Beta3. Now the iozone-Benchmark
runs through. Fine - be warned, on my machine it took about 30 hours (a
3GHz DualCore and a 160GB SATA HD w. 10000rpm).
After the first successful run on a ZFS since my first try i tried the
next step.
Three parallel iozone (for your reference, here's again the setup:
iozone -R -a -z -b filez-512M.wks -g 4G -f testile) runs on the
mentioned machine. Nearly 5 days everything went fine, but then the
system made a reboot. Unfortunately there's no log and the reboot
happened in the night. Though, i don't really know the reason for this.
I guess, the kmem_map error is the cause, because the symptoms are the
same as on the BETA3-system before the applied patch. The last output i
have from the benchmark, showed that the file size were in the 4GB area
with a reclen in the 8192 area (well, short before iozone should finish).
The problem is to track down the stuff, as it may took quite long until
the error occurs - or lets say it better, even on a quite fast machine,
iozone is quite slow. But the problem is not the CPU, it's the HD. Maybe
somebody with access to a fast HD-Array can investigate this again.

My conclusions to my tests:
1. You should really apply the mentioned patch if you plan to use ZFS on
  your Box for more than just testing and experimenting (well, ZFS is
marked as that, though - you're warned). The memory/kernel parameter
tuning recommendations helped me not really.
2. With the applied patch, ZFS seems quite robust for the average use.
Maybe, there's a problem with a bigger load under some (rare?)
circumstances.
3. The patch should find his way to the 'regular' kernel sources (or is
it even in BETA4?).

A big thanks to Pawel Jakub Dawidek for his great job.

Michael

--
Die Erde ist die Irrenanstalt des Universums.

Public Key:
http://sks.keyserver.penguin.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5D0A2BC3CEB
3F472