Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 10:20:34 -0600 (MDT)
From:      FreeBSD <freebsd@XtremeDev.com>
To:        Hervey Wilson <herveyw@dynamic-cast.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install IPFilter on FreeBSD 4.4 Release

FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE comes with IPF 3.4.20 in the kernel. You can either
load it dymically through a kernel module (kldload ipl.ko), or compile a
custom kernel. To make a custom kernel with ipf build static, do:

1. Put the following in your kernel config file:
  options         IPFILTER                # required
  options         IPFILTER_LOG            # (optional)
  options         IPFILTER_DEFAULT_BLOCK  # (optional, default to block)

2. Compile new kernel as per instructions in the FreeBSD handbook
(www.freebsd.org/handbook)

The instructions you're following is for installing a new version of ipf
into FreeBSD different than what's already there, or something along that
line.