Date:      12 Jul 2000 13:03:15 -0700
From:      asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Akinori -Aki- MUSHA <knu@idaemons.org>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Add MASTER_SORT facility to our ports!

 * From: Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>

 * On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 06:17:16PM +0900, Akinori -Aki- MUSHA wrote:
 * > Here's the patch that adds master sites sorting facility into our
 * > ports system.  I obtained it from NetBSD pkgsrc, to port to our ports
 * > with a trivial fixes.
 *
 * I certainly like the concept, though I'm not sure that this particular
 * solution buys us a great deal.  First we had a whole bunch of
 * www.<projectname>.org web/ftp sites appear, now we have things like
 * Sourceforge and Linuxberg with large sets of mirrors (not to mention
 * the GNU, XFree86 and other "big" mirror sets), generally with FQDNs
 * that wouldn't easily map into a MASTER_SORT="..." list, except in
 * a few very specific cases (Japan and Australia fall into this list
 * by virtue of having geographically-local - ie: no international
 * link required - mirrors, that are only accessible to other sites in
 * that country).
 *
 * Just for the record, I'm not dismissing the idea since it doesn't
 * really matter to us US-based folks.. just that I think the concept
 * of finding the "best" site is non-trivial.  If the problem can
 * be solved, then it would have far-reaching consequences elsewhere
 * (like cvsup servers for example).

Well, I agree, but this seems like a simple enough solution to fix a
lot of people's problems while not overly negatively affecting others.

I'll put it in after a bit of testing, thanks.

-PW