Date:      Sun, 1 Jul 2001 07:29:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jason Nugent <malhavoc@stomped.com>
To:        David Hill <djhill@novagate.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: java support

I've successfully built (and use all the time) Sun's native J2EE
environment, complete with cloudscape object oriented database, under
FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE using Linux Emulation. Works like a charm, including
all of the Swing GUI components.

Jason

On Sun, 1 Jul 2001 at 7:28am, Joe Clarke thought about

> There are Linux versions of JDK in the ports tree that should work the
> same as any native FreeBSD version.  I have personally only used JDK 1.1.8
> for FreeBSD, but I have heard good things about the Linux 1.3 port.
>
> Joe Clarke
>
> On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, David Hill wrote:
>
> > Hello -
> > 	I am wondering what'll take to have better java support under freebsd.  Is it simply the fact that java is not "made" for bsd systems, or is FreeBSD missing something?
> >
> > 	I know java works under FreeBSD, but the performance is not too great.  For example, 1.1.8 is included in the ports.  Why not 1.2, or a more recent version at that?
> >
> > Thanks
> >  - David

Jason Nugent
Aka MalHavoc