Date:      Thu, 02 Aug 2001 22:19:03 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>
Cc:        Charles Randall <crandall@matchlogic.com>, craig <craiglei@pasia.com.cn>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to visit physical memory above 4G?

Rik van Riel wrote:
> > >I have yet to see one person using it for anything.  So far,
> > >it is nothing more than marketing fodder: I haven't seen one
> > >motherboard capable of more than 4G worth of SIMMs.
> >
> > The Dell PowerEdge 6450 supports 8 GB of RAM.
> >
> > http://www.dell.com/us/en/biz/products/model_pedge_pedge_6400.htm
>
> It's all a trick, they don't really exist. After all,
> why would people ever shell out the money for one of
> these useless beasts that won't be running until ia64
> has gotten cheaper than these machines ?

I can buy an IA64 box for US$7000; it can address much
more memory than this thing, and the overall cost is
probably less.  In IA32 mode, it can operate with the
PAE, so you can keep your crufty "32 bit using 36 bit"
around, too, if you are too lazy to do the port.

This is seeming more and more like a boondoggle to get
FreeBSD to waste its time slowing its default behaviour
down so that some small number of incredibly bizarre
applications can pretend their address space is bigger
than it really is...

-- Terry