Date:      Fri, 5 Feb 1999 18:07:38 +0100 (CET)
From:      "D. Rock" <rock@wurzelausix.CS.Uni-SB.DE>
To:        Michael.Schuster@Germany.Sun.COM, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: locale errors

> > My locale is set do de_DE.ISO_8859-1, not de_DE.ASCII
> > If I type 2 characters ss, I mean 2 characters ss. If I type ß I
> > mean the single character ß.
> > This sorting behaviour is just wrong. Not every apperence of "ss"
> > even in pure  ASCII does mean "ß".
>
> I suggest you set LC_COLLATE to C, then it sorts in the good old
> fashioned way its meant to be.
> (like this on Solaris 7:
> 	Assel
> 	aSS
> 	asen
> 	ass
> 	asse
> 	assel
> 	assen
> 	aß
> 	aßen
> )
The locales were introduced to be used. I want words with umlauts to be sorted
the right way, not somewhere at the end of the section/file.

Solaris isn't the problem. FreeBSD treats two character strings special, which
is wrong IMHO. I want FreeBSD to sort the same way as Solaris: No special
interpretation of "ss", which would be right on some cases, wrong on other
(wrong on all cases if we use phone book sorting)

The only LC_ variable which is not set to de (de_DE.ISO_8859-1 on FreeBSD)
is LC_NUMERIC. I don't want to convert all awk scripts...

Daniel