Date:      Fri, 03 Oct 2014 11:17:07 +0200
From:      =?windows-1252?Q?Jean-S=E9bastien_P=E9dron?= <jean-sebastien.pedron@dumbbell.fr>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removal of legacy X.Org (aka non-WITH_NEW_XORG)

--TK9dOsqKGl8K72eNx7uA4hxFEtXIcJSVF

On 03.10.2014 11:08, Rolf Nielsen wrote:
> Hi,

Hi!

> I'm running new X.Org with sc, and I have been doing so for quite
> some time, and I have no problem with console switching. Works
> perfectly. I'm using nvidia-driver-331.67_1, and perhaps that has got
> something to do with it? I haven't seen it mentioned on any pages
> and/or discussions about the new X.Org.

NVIDIA users aren't impacted by this change because the port provides
its own set of driver/kernel module. You'll get xserver 1.12 by default
instead of 1.7, otherwise, nothing should change.

> I would like to use vt, however it doesn't respond to any keyboard
> input during boot, and since I'm using a geli encrypted root, it's
> imperative that I can use my keyboard before / is mounted. I'm still
> using a PS/2 keyboard, and the reason for that is that last time I
> tried a USB one, it didn't work during boot.

When was the last time you tested vt(4)? And which version of FreeBSD
was it?

If you have some time, could you please test a FreeBSD 11-CURRENT
snapshot (just the live media, no need to install anything)? To enable
vt(4), you simply need to "set kern.vty=3Dvt" from the loader prompt.

--=20
Jean-S=E9bastien P=E9dron