Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2000 10:21:02 -0600
From:      "Zaitsau, Andrei" <AZaitsau@panasonicfa.com>
To:        'Laurence Sanford' <lauasanf@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Kernel optimization questions

The excellent place to start with is...
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ (nice description of kernel configuration)

:-)

Hi,
	I am trying to squeeze every ounce of performance out of
a dual P233 system. I've compiled a custom kernel, but that mostly
involved removing support for everything but 586 CPU's, adding
SMP support, and removing all the drivers for ethernet cards I
don't have. If I'm correct, at least in theory, every device or
option that I don't use or that isn't needed in my kernel config
could be removed to make the kernel smaller and more efficient,
correct? What are some things that can be removed from most common
kernels to help? Are there any good urls I should read up on how
to configure a kernel to really wring out a machine? (If there
isn't, would anyone object to me writing one based on what I
learn?) Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Drew Sanford
lauasanf@bellsouth.net