Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 1997 07:06:51 +1000
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        Peter Korsten <peter@hw.nl>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xdm in /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d problem

On Sun, Apr 27, 1997 at 08:34:20PM +0200, Peter Korsten wrote:
>I installed 2.2.1 and decided to put the stuff from /etc/rc.local
>in /usr/local/etc/rc.d and /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d, respectively.
>
>For the normal daemons, this works OK, but putting xdm in the X11
>rc directory turned out to be a Bad Idea. What seems to happen, is
>that xdm initializes and starts X, but after that, the vty's are
>initilized.
>
>The result is that I have a screen with the xdm login, but that
>the keyboard thinks it's listening to a vty. I managed to login as
>root and print xdm's pid to console (xconsole) and kill it, but
>still no characters would appear.
>
>About the same thing happened when I installed the splash screen.
>
>I'm almost positive that this is a known issue, but is there a way
>to get around it?

Delay the starting of xdm.  Here's what I have in my /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d/xdm
file:

#!/bin/sh
# Make sure root can start xconsole when xdm starts
chown root /dev/console
if [ -f /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -a -f /usr/local/etc/xdm/xdm-config ]; then
	echo -n ' xdm'
	(sleep 10; /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -config /usr/local/etc/xdm/xdm-config)&
fi

That works fine for me.

David