Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:45:29 -0700
From:      "cuddlesomebunny" <freebsduser@comcast.net>
To:        "FREEBSD" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Ports woes.

Could anybody explain to me what is up with ports?=20

I am using FreeBSD 5.x-p2 and I am using ports and am having one hell of =
a time installing things.=20

Here's what is happeng.=20

I go to install ports and if it needs to get a dependency it goes and =
fetches it and becomes the usual compile process. Except that the =
dependency might already be installed with the exact version required =
and so most of the time the ports error out telling me I need to make =
deinstall on some dependency then make reinstall on it.=20

And don't even get me started on installing Apache. I tried installing =
mod_php4 but before hand installed apache+ssl and so then mod_php4 =
doesn't even see that apache is already installed and then fetches the =
version it wants thus blowing out the apache+ssl and I have to then =
reinstall that package to get ssl and apache.=20

If I do things with /stand/sysinstall it errors out on a dependency if =
it is already installed instead of ignoring the fact that it is already =
there and errors out. This particular behavour started around 4.8 or so. =
Maybe earlier but I don't seem to recall exactly when this started to =
happen.=20

I tried using the portupgrade stuffs but that just seems to make things =
worse overall.=20

Anybody got any hints as to why it seems ports is having these sorts of =
problems?