Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 1998 00:56:36 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Tim Stinnett <trinity@ioa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: chat

Tim Stinnett wrote:

> >It would help if you include your /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file with your
> >message
> A copy of the ppp.conf file is included below.  To recap the problem I am
> having:  All attempts at connecting using ppp result in "Warning: Chat
> script failed".  I can start ppp and dial into my ISP using the term command
> and it appears I go into packet mode.  I can run a background command and
> ping my ISP and get results back(At least that happened once.  I tried it
> again last night and it didn't work).  If I try  ppp -auto provider nothing
> happens.  No dialing of the modem, etc..  But I will get the same message.
> "Warning: Chat script failed".
>
> Tim
> Here is a copy of my ppp.conf file located at /etc/ppp
>
> default:
>    set device /dev/cuaa4
>    set speed 115200
>    set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATE1Q0
>  OK-AT-OK\\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
> provider:
>    set login "TIMEOUT 10 \"\" \"\" gin:--gin: myname word: myword"
                           ^^^^^^^^^
This looks rather suspicious, what is it for? I think they are
un-necessary. You're saying to expect nothing twice, so if the login
prompt arrives that could be causing the message.

The man page, Handbook, and ppp.conf.sample all show ``TIMEOUT 10
gin:--gin:''. Try that instead.

Actually, are you sure that your ISP doesn't use CHAP/PAP?? In which
case you need ``set authname'' and ``set authkey'' rather than ``set
login''.

--
  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd
Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com