Date:      Fri, 2 May 1997 09:43:12 -0700
From:      "Patrick Burm" <patb@commlitho.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Rock Solid System

Hi:

I've noticed some differing opinions about this subject, so I would
appreciate
any advice from long-time sysadmins.

I'm starting a small ISP operation in the next couple of weeks and I'm
looking for a box that will hold up without any extensive babysitting.

I've created a "beta box" on a p100 w/32mb RAM, EIDE 2GB HD (Seagate), IDE
CD ROM (Some generic cheapo hitachi), 3com 10/100 NIC. So far the only
problem I have with this setup is the network interface seems to dissappear
on  occasion. I currently have a bandaid on this problem with a periodic
ping setup from the console to keep the interface "up"

I obviously plan on finding the culprit and fixing it permanently. But that
is why I'm turning to this list. I do not have extensive Unix experience,
and virtually none w/FreeBSD. I chose it because of price and user/support
reputation.

I was plannning on using a P166 with intel PCI MB, 64Mb Ram, 4 Gb SCSI
drive (Hawk or Baracuda), Adaptec 2940w, and 3Com NIC.

Any suggestions or experience based opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Patrick Burm
Commercial Lithographers
Mesa, AZ 602.844.2294
patb@commlitho.com