Date:      Sun, 6 Jul 1997 20:57:57 PDT
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VJ compression and MAX_HDR

David Greenman <dg@root.com> wrote:
>   I think the case of IP+TCP header > MLEN is more than rare...I think it
>never happens. Even with all options, the IP header doesn't exceed 64 bytes.

Both IP and TCP headers have maximum lengths of 60 bytes.  A maximum size
IP + max size TCP header, however, is 120 bytes, which > MLEN.

sl_compress_tcp() requires the IP and TCP headers to be contiguous; the
only way to require that without requiring them to be shorter than MLEN
is to require that sl_compress_tcp() be passed a cluster mbuf.  Failing
that, the code that checks TCP options (maybe just the last BCMP in the
check-if-we-should-send-this-one-compressed) needs to learn about mbuf
chains.

  Bill