Date:      20 Feb 2003 00:41:16 +0100
From:      Franz Klammer <klammer@webonaut.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnome <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   fontconfig/fc-cache: i really think i'm too stupid for this!

help! please!

could some tell me in word that i understand it with my
narrow mind? this is the second time i've problems with
this. (did you remember joe? :-<)

please tell me someone if i'm wrong, but this is the normal way
if i want to add fonts for use with X/fontconfig/Xft: (or?)

1. insert the new fontpath into XF86Config
2. fonts.conf: standard = top-level of the X11-fonts direcory.
3. fc-cache -f -v
4. local.conf: only rewrites some font settings
5. start gnome and be happy.

this i've done:

1. installing bitstream-vera -> no more fonts available
2. adding the new fontpath to XF86Config.
3. - 100. please don't ask me any more what i did.
          (many recurrences)
101. delete _every_  fonts.cache-1 and ~/.fonts.cache-1
102. write _every_ font-path <dir>...</dir> (like FontPath in
     XF86Config) into local.conf = revert to state of local.conf
     before installing the vera-fonts
103. including the additional vera-directory to local.conf
104. gnome is starting again.

where a the pitfalls i've overseen or are my thoughts basically
wrong?

franz.