Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 1996 09:18:59 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
To:        brian@mediacity.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-atm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATM 25Mbits/155Mbit PCI cards?

>  Integrated Device Technology (IDT) is offering a PCI based ATM
>  card that supports up to 25Mbits operation to developers for $99.
>  The hardware programming guide is free.
>  In mid April a 155Mbit version based on the same technology will be
>  available for more money.
>
>  Is anyone working on support for this card or any others?
>
>  --
>  Brian Litzinger					       Powered by FreeBSD
>  <brian@mediacity.com>                            http[s]://www.mpress.com

Besides the switch vendors (Fore, Cisco, etc) that sell adapter cards,  SMC and
Adaptec have also announced adapter cards. Announcing and seeing them work "on
the street" are two seperate things.

Writing an driver to support the driver will be the realitively easy part
of the ATM support problem. We will also need the support for creating/destroy
the Permanent Virtual Circuits and Switched Virtual Circuits, the interface
API, the LAN Emulation (ATM standard) or the IETF TCP-over-ATM support,
end-node's responsibility of Flow control which depends on which UNI we
support.

Be very careful in purchasing an ATM card. Does it work with your switch,
which UNI, AAL, media does it support, etc. Also, does the card re-assemble
the AAL5 packets before sending it to the OS (I am told this make a BIG
performanace difference).

There are several people at various stage of working on ATM on FreeBSD. I would
like to get a common base of standard that we can aim at reaching. The ATM
mailling list has just been start and the organizational effort of choosing
what we want has really not even begun.

--mark.