Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2007 16:56:25 -0800
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Jay Chandler <chandler@chapman.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Install from CVS?

On Jan 15, 2007, at 4:11 PM, Jay Chandler wrote:
> Is it possible to install (instead of upgrading) FreeBSD from my
> local CVS repository?  Looking to find a good way to automate
> installations, and figured I'd start there.

Sure, it's possible.  You'd have to build a working system from the
sources on a FreeBSD system, and then install them to the target disk
somehow (perhaps temporarily install the drive in the working FreeBSD
system long enough to do the install).

In practice, people normally install from a CD image they've burned,
and perform source-based updates after that.

--
-Chuck