Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 2002 19:39:03 -0400
From:      Don Bowman <don@sandvine.com>
To:        "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   number mbufs / cluster

I have an application where there is lots of connections,
but packet sizes aren't that large. I'm running into the
problem where I need an enormous amount of clusters,
but the number of mbufs needed isn't as big:

$ netstat -m
141164/141200/512000 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
        141163 mbufs allocated to data
        1 mbufs allocated to fragment reassembly queue headers
127997/128000/128000 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
291300 Kbytes allocated to network (10% of mb_map in use)
121192 requests for memory denied
7 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines
bash-2.05a# All mbuf clusters exhausted, please see tuning(7).

Is there a way to change the number of mbufs allocated per
cluster? Is this a good thing to do for an application like this?
As you can see, I've got quite a bit of memory allocated to the
network here, and I can't really spare any more.

--don